- Story Highlights:
Now, more than ever, 21st century America relies on one major source of power; electricity. While many cars still run on gasoline, homes, commercial buildings, and industrial buildings all need electricity to run their lights, monitors, computers, and other equipment. Even on the go, phones and laptop computers require electricity from batteries, which must then be recharged from an electrical power source once they are drained.
However, with so many sources of electricity all around us, it should come as no surprise that this also leads to a risk of injury from electricity, usually through an electric shock.
Not Like Other Injuries
Kinetic or physical injuries in accidents such as car collisions are comparatively straightforward. Physical force is applied to a part of the body, and injury occurs depends on the amount of force applied. Electrical shocks are different. While it may not always be apparent, the human body itself relies, in some way, on electrical energy. The orders that are sent to different limbs and organs, such as to keep the heart beating, or pick up a phone and read the message on it, are carried out by neurotransmitters that transmit electrical impulses.
This means that when we receive an electric shock, it can not only physically injure us but it can actively interfere with the transmission of electrical current in our body. This is why an electrical shock, depending on the strength of the shock, can either be harmless or cause death.
Electrical shocks are essentially the rapid transmission of high energy. One of the most common results of an electrical shock, especially if it is a short exposure of milliseconds or less, is a burn injury at the point of the contact. In many cases, this is usually an extremity, such as a hand, arm, foot, or leg. The treatment of an electrical burn is identical to that of a burn caused by fire.
However, other possible side-effects of an electrical shock may include:
- Muscle spasms
- Vision and/or hearing problems
- Irregular heartbeat
- Breathing difficulty
- Numbness or tinglingSeizures
People with electrical burns or any of the other symptoms possible from an electric shock should seek medical attention as soon as possible. However, handling an electrical shock victim should only be done once a victim is clear of the source of electricity. If Telephone wiring has fallen to the ground, and the victim is in the middle of it, for example, call 911, do not attempt to get the victim out yourself, or you run the risk of becoming a shock victim as well.
In most instances, an electric shock will be brief. Exposure to electrical wiring usually throws the victim clear. Children playing with electrical wall outlets are also safe to handle once physical contact with the outlet has been broken.
However, if an electrical shock injury happens on the job, or at a public space where someone else’s negligence caused the shock injury to occur, get legal help. Talk to an attorney experienced with both premises liability and electrical injuries and find out how you can get the compensation you deserve for someone else’s carelessness.