Every aspect of the legal industry has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Here at Lawline, we’re doing our part to help attorneys adjust to a rapidly shifting legal practice with a series of free CLE offerings, free non-CLE webinars, and short briefings designed to answer specific questions attorneys have about their practice.
This list will be updated on an ongoing basis as we add more content. Have a request? Fill out this form to ask a question or suggest a topic!
Free Online CLE
- Creating A Coronavirus Response Plan: A How-To Guide for Employers. Gain a better understanding of COVID-19 and how it affects the workplace with this program, which covers best practices for employers, and answers frequently asked questions by employers. Note: There are also updates to this program among the webinars listed below. Recorded on March 13, 2020.
- Force Majeure and Other Defenses to Contract Performance During the Covid-19 Pandemic. This program covers the enforceability of force majeure clauses and other contract defenses to excuse performance altered by the COVID-19 pandemic. Recorded on April 2, 2020.
- Cybersecurity Concerns for a Remote Workforce. As attorneys shift to working remotely, it is essential to prepare for risks associated with a virtual presence. This program provides best practices for attorneys to improve cybersecurity while working remotely. Recorded on April 3, 2020.
- Staying Within the Lines: Ethical Issues for Lawyers During a Crisis. In this unprecedented crisis, attorneys need to make difficult decisions. This program helps attorneys understand their ethical obligations during this time in terms of staying competitive in the current landscape, supervising junior lawyers and staff, meeting deadlines, and communicating with clients.
- Critical Legal Considerations for Healthcare Providers Responding to the Coronavirus Pandemic. This program covers the legal issues that healthcare providers should consider when developing their responses to COVID-19. Issues discussed are President Trump’s Declaration of a National Emergency, Section 1335 waivers, supply change management, and more.
Please note these webinars are not for CLE credit.
- Shifting to a Remote Law Practice in Response to COVID-19. Attorneys have increasingly found themselves working remotely in response to COVID-19. This webinar, presented by Oscar Michelen and Scott Limmer, will cover the impact that COVID-19 has had on law practices, how attorneys can best adapt to working remotely, and what systems and technologies attorneys can employ in order to successfully shift to an online practice. Recorded on March 25, 2020.
- Furloughs, Reductions in Workforce, and More: Top Payroll Considerations in the Time of COVID. Many businesses and employees have faced hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This webinar, presented by Kyle Carraro, will review the benefits available to employers during this time, including furloughs, unemployment benefits, and relief programs. Recorded on March 27, 2020.
- Updating Your Coronavirus Response Plan: A How-To Guide for Employers. This webinar, presented by Susan Gross Sholinsky and Nancy Gunzenhauser Popper, will answer frequently asked questions by employers about how to respond to constantly changing laws and regulations due to the Coronavirus pandemic, including the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, the impact of stay-at-home orders, and resources to maintain business continuity. Recorded on March 30, 2020.
- Using Technology to Counsel Vulnerable Clients in a Crisis. In this time of crisis, attorneys need to be able to shift their firm online and know how to best prepare and advocate for clients in a virtual setting. This webinar, presented by Maren Miller Bam, will cover tools and tips to do so, including routing phone calls, using DocuSign, posting on social media, telephonic hearings, and virtual conferences. Recorded on April 1, 2020.
- Immigration Updates and Strategies Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic. The COVID-19 pandemic has had a major impact on immigration-related agencies like the Department of State, USCIS, ICE, CBP, EOIR, and DOL. This webinar, presented by Matthew Blaisdell, Valentine Brown, and Christian Park, will cover the latest information from these agencies on travel bans, application filing, court appearances, the H-1B lottery, and more. Recorded on April 1, 2020.
- Creative Estate Planning in the Time of Coronavirus. This webinar, presented by Kim Murphy and Lisa Campo, helps attorneys offer quality estate planning services in the time of COVID-19 with discussions of holographics wills, electronic signatures and notarizations, and video-conferencing witnesses. Recorded on April 2, 2020.
- How to Stay Sane, Productive, and Healthy in Isolation: Wellness Strategies for Attorneys During the Pandemic. It is essential that attorneys find time to stay healthy in this time of crisis. This webinar, presented by Will Meyerhofer, provides tips attorneys can use to protect their mental health and wellness while still supporting their family, community, and law practice during this time. Recorded on April 3, 2020.
Free Short Briefings
- What Are Best Practices for Handling Outside Sales Representatives Who Are Visiting Client Offices? Recorded on March 23, 2020.
- What Are Some Issues Surrounding Employee Liability? Recorded on March 23, 2020.
- Can You Require Medical Clearance Before Allowing Employees Into the Office? Recorded on March 23, 2020.
- How to Prepare for a Virtual Hearing. Recorded on April 2, 2020.
- Can Law Firms Apply for CARES Act Relief? Recorded on April 3, 2020.
- What is a Force Majeure Clause? Recorded on April 10, 2020.
- How Should You Approach Force Majeure Clauses During COVID-19? Recorded on April 10, 2020.