When people are given a driver’s license, they are trusted to drive safely and with caution. Failure to do so can result in serious accidents that can cause injuries or even death to those who are involved. If you were involved in a car accident, it is important to know what steps you should take after an accident to protect a future claim for negligence. Continue reading below to learn more and contact a New Jersey personal injury attorney for assistance with your case.
What do I do After a Car Accident?
Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident is often frightening. However, it is important to remain calm so that you can handle the situation properly. The following are crucial steps to take during this time:
- Call the police. This should be done even if the other party involved tells you otherwise. The police can keep the scene safe as well as draft an official police report, take witness statements, and conduct any necessary chemical tests. This information can all be used in a future claim.
- Do not apologize. It is understandable that many people’s impulse after an accident is to apologize. While it can be seen as the right thing to do under the circumstances, it is important to avoid doing so. This is because it can sometimes be seen as an admission of fault for their involvement. Instead of doing so, simply be polite and contact the emergency services.
- Take pictures or video of the scene. This provides you with documentation of any broken glass, deployed airbags, skid marks, and bloodstains as well as poor weather or road conditions.
- Record important information. While the police can take witness statements, you should also obtain their contact information. In addition to this, make note of the registration information of all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Seek immediate medical attention. This should be done immediately, even if you do not feel injured. This is because it is possible for injuries to show symptoms later on. While emergency responders can conduct examinations on the scene, be sure to see a doctor for an official diagnosis.
Pursuing Legal Action
After an accident happens due to negligence, an injured party can pursue legal action by filing a personal injury claim. During this time, they must prove the driver engaged in negligent behavior that directly caused the accident and their injuries. This can be done with the evidence gathered from the scene. If they are successful in doing so, they may recover compensation for any damages they incurred.
Contact our Firm
We understand the implications of a serious accident. If you believe you were injured due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are more than willing to help you recover the compensation you need to get your life back on track. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928.
The post What do I do After Being Injured in a New Jersey Car Accident? appeared first on Greenberg & Walden, LLC.