Foreign Gift From Related Person

Foreign Gift From Related Persons

Foreign Gift From Related Person: When a U.S. person receives a gift(s) from a foreign person individual or entity (such as a foreign corporation) and the aggregate value of the gifts within the tax year exceed the reporting threshold, the gift must be reported to the IRS. In calculating the amount, it is important to consider if there are related parties. If there are related parties, and the related party gifts pushes the aggregate value of the gift over the threshold, then it is still reported.

The failure to report the gift may result in penalties, and in recent years, the IRS has begun automatically assessing penalties — which is why a well-written reasonable cause statement submission is your best weapon against form 3520 penalties.

How to Calculate Related Foreign Person Gifts

The threshold requirements vary based on whether foreign person is an individual or entity:

Gift from Foreign Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Estates

“Line 54. To calculate the threshold amount ($100,000), you must aggregate gifts from different foreign nonresident aliens and foreign estates if you know (or have reason to know) that those persons are related to each other (see Related Person, earlier) or one is acting as a nominee or intermediary for the other.

For example, if you receive a gift of $75,000 from nonresident alien individual A and a gift of $40,000 from nonresident alien individual B, and you know that A and B are related, you must answer “Yes” and complete columns (a) through (c) for each gift.

Gift from Foreign Corporation

“For example, if you, a calendar-year taxpayer during 2019, received $8,000 from foreign corporation X that you treated as a gift, and $10,000 that you received from nonresident alien A that you treated as a gift, and you know that X is wholly owned by A, you must complete columns (a) through (g) for each gift.”

Late Filing Form 3520 Specialist Team

Our firm specializes exclusively in international tax, and specifically IRS offshore disclosure, including help clients with late reporting of Forms 3520 and 3520-A.

We are the “go-to” firm for other Attorneys, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, Accountants, and Financial Professionals across the globe. Our attorneys have worked with thousands of clients on offshore disclosure matters, including FATCA & FBAR.

Each case is led by a Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist with 20-years experience, and the entire matter (tax and legal) is handled by our team, in-house.

*Please beware of copycat tax and law firms misleading the public about their credentials and experience.

Less than 1% of Tax Attorneys Nationwide Are Certified Specialists

Our lead attorney is one of less than 350 Attorneys (out of more than 200,000 practicing California Attorneys) to earn the Certified Tax Law Specialist credential. The credential is awarded to less than 1% of Attorneys.

Recent Case Highlights

  • We represented a client in an 8-figure disclosure that spanned 7 countries.
  • We represented a high-net-worth client to facilitate a complex expatriation with offshore disclosure.
  • We represented an overseas family with bringing multiple businesses & personal investments into U.S. tax and offshore compliance.
  • We took over a case from a small firm that unsuccessfully submitted multiple clients to IRS Offshore Disclosure.
  • We successfully completed several recent disclosures for clients with assets ranging from $50,000 – $7,000,000+.

How to Hire Experienced Offshore Counsel?

Generally, experienced attorneys in this field will have the following credentials/experience:

  • 20-years experience as a practicing attorney
  • Extensive litigation, high-stakes audit and trial experience
  • Board Certified Tax Law Specialist credential
  • Master’s of Tax Law (LL.M.)
  • Dually Licensed as an EA (Enrolled Agent) or CPA

Interested in Learning More about our Firm?

No matter where in the world you reside, our international tax team can get you IRS offshore compliant.

We specialize in FBAR and FATCA. Contact our firm today for assistance with getting compliant.

The post Foreign Gift From Related Persons (Individual or Entity) appeared first on Form 3520 IRS Resource Guide: Foreign Gift & Trust Specialist.