As we transition into a new presidential administration and continue to face challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, the legal landscape remains in flux. With topics such as athletes’ right to free speech, and a historical perspective on diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, Lawline’s February CLE lineup promises to keep you up-to-date on all of the latest legal developments.
- Free Speech In Sports: Do Athletes Tweet At Their Own Risk? Athletes’ right to free speech came into question after many united behind the Black Lives Matter movement, refusing to play games and wearing uniforms promoting racial justice and equality. This program takes a deeper dive into the events that occured last summer and reviews the First Amendment rights of both student and professional athletes. Airing February 2, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (EST)
- Let’s Talk About Race: Perspectives on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Legal Profession. Many diversity and inclusion initiatives are being implemented across the legal profession, yet it’s important to understand historical context in order to have important conversations about race. This program situates and defines race in its historical context through discussions of the governing documents in the United States, case law, legislation, and demographic data throughout the legal profession. Airing February 11, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. (EST)
- The Power of Public Speaking: Developing Presentation Skills for Effective Cross Examinations. Public speaking is an important skill for attorneys, and developing this skill is crucial for conducting cross examinations. This program will discuss best practices in public speaking including vocal warmups, using your voice to create drama, pace, and emphasis, and how to control nerves. Airing February 23, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. (EST)
If you can’t attend a live webcast, don’t worry! All of our courses go on-demand within 48 hours after airing (and you can check them out with our free trial). Check out some recent highlights:
- Coming Attractions in Health Care: What to Expect from the Biden Administration. The Biden Administration is bringing new healthcare priorities into office in the midst of a changing and challenging landscape. This program provides an overview of the changes that healthcare providers should expect in the first year of Biden’s term, as well as in the long-term. Originally aired on January 21, 2020
- Striving for a (Realistic) Attorney Work/Life Balance in 2021. Maintaining a realistic work-life balance is important for attorneys, yet so few achieve it. In fact, recent studies show that impairment due to alcoholism, addition, and mental health disorders have increased in the legal profession. This program will offer suggestions on how to maintain a healthy work-life balance and improve your quality of life. Originally aired on January 22, 2020
- Wage & Hour Claims: A Primer for Associates. This program, which benefits newer attorneys, will cover laws surrounding minimum wage and overtime claims, calculating damages, and considerations for class and collective actions. Originally aired on January 25, 2020