Property Division of Inherited Property from Estranged Husband who Moved South–5168230.html?answered=true

Jay K. Nixon Avvo Rating: 10 Chapter 13 Criminal Attorney in Kenosha & Janesville, WI
My estranged husband moved to Georgia. We were married in WI. Don’t know what is going on with the house his dad gave him before he died. I spent like 10 years there, part caring for his father, what are my rights in Wisconsin?
Your rights are very few for property inherited from your spouse’s family, but you should still talk to a family law attorney about the advantages of suing now for property division, either with or without a divorce request, rather than waiting. Of course, if there was some sort of agreement that you would receive compensation for caring for the father, that might improve your situation, since you could sue the estate or its heirs (such as your husband), for breach of contract, regardless of whether you remain married. Either way, your claims are not likely to improve with time but in fact might increasingly “go south,” on you, as your husband did, the longer you wait.