A “slash lawyer” who practices both labor and employment law as well as commercial litigation and products liability over at Bradley Arant Boult Cummings, Will Manuel co-edits the firm’s Labor & Employment Insights blog and has been doing so since 2014—and maybe you recognize him from the creatively titled blog post, “Seventh Circuit Scrubs Attempted Snub of Arbitration of Grubhub Paystub Hubbub.” He joins Bob Ambrogi on This Week in Legal Blogging to discuss how the pandemic affected his practice, the blog’s transformation over the years and how the team manages the multi-authored publication.
For weekly chats with the best bloggers in our community, with insight on what’s worked for them, be sure to subscribe to This Week in Legal Blogging wherever you get your podcasts—including:
If you’re on Apple, be sure to drop us a rating and a review.
Will was one of the editors behind the initial launch of Bradley’s first blog six years ago. Now, it’s doing better than ever, a success he attributes to the publication’s consistent posting schedule, informal yet informative manner and a number of other factors. He touches on key lessons he’s learned over the years in regards to blogging and explains what the demographic for the firm’s blog looks like.
- 1:16 – How the legal industry has adapted to a virtual world
- 4:47 – Will’s law practice as apart of two different practice groups
- 6:07 – COVID’s impact on Will’s practice area and the firm’s blog
- 8:38 – The launch and start of Labor & Employment Insights back in 2014
- 11:19 – Blogging’s benefits for younger attorneys externally and internally as well
- 11:56 – How the blog started to gain traction and bring in business
- 14:01 – Who’s reading their blog and the metrics behind different types of posts
- 16:19 – Blogging about things that catch people’s eye and writing in an informal yet informative manner
- 19:00 – The blog’s primary audience
- 20:49 – Creating a schedule for the multi-authored blog
- 23:30 – Topics that the blog will not cover or steers away from
- 24:58 – Advice for new bloggers and the importance of commitment early on