(Houston, TX) The Eighth Annual Mexican-American Bar Association of Texas Foundation (MABATX Foundation) Scholarship Luncheon will be held August 22 at the Double Tree Hotel in Downtown Houston.
The luncheon will include a scholarship award program for select students from the three Houston-area law schools. The outstanding law students were chosen as 2013 MABATX Foundation scholarship recipients because they exemplify the core goals and ideals of the Foundation: leadership, commitment, justice, and equality within the Hispanic community and beyond.
“It is important that we encourage a new generation of lawyers to have the courage and strength to be committed to their clients but also committed to their communities,” said attorney Benny Agosto, Jr., founder of MABATX Foundation, and partner at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Sorrels, Agosto & Friend in Houston.
Following a keynote address given by Susan Sanchez, Senior Council for Exxon Mobil Corporation, the following people will also be recognized for their contributions and commitments to advancing the position of Hispanic members of the Houston community:
- For Outstanding Service in the Community as an Entrepreneur, Jorge Ferraez of Latino Leaders Magazine
- For Outstanding Service in the Community as a Pioneer in the Media Industry, Lana Hughes and JP Pritchard of News 92
- For Outstanding Public Service to the State of Texas, Senator Rodney Ellis
- For Outstanding Service in the Judiciary, Justice Patricia Alvarez, San Antonio Court of Appeals
- Lisa Tatum and David Chaumette will also receive awards recognizing their commitments to diversity within the legal profession
The annual luncheon serves as both a platform for recognition as well as a fundraiser for the MABATX Foundation. Since its inception in 2006, the Foundation has raised over $150,000 for its scholarship program and to further its mission of promoting the social, economic, and educational advancement of the people of Texas. To learn more about the Foundation, please visit www.mabatxfoundation.com.