- Download our 2019 Congressional calendar
- The partial government shutdown continues, affecting the Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Justice, Homeland Security, Interior, State, Transportation, and Housing & Urban Development. The shutdown is going on day 19.
- The House rules package, approved on the first day of the 116th Congress, changed the House Education & Workforce Committee’s name to the House Education & Labor Committee.
- The Senate HELP Committee will have three new members for the 116th Congress: Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT), Senator Mike Braun (R-IN), and Senator Jacky Rosen (D-NV).
- On Monday, the U.S. Department of Education released its proposals on a range of higher education rules, including accreditation, institutional eligibility, religious inclusion, and TEACH grants. The Department has selected 15 individuals to participate in the negotiated rulemaking process slated to begin next week, January 14.
Meetings and Events
International Society of Technology in Education (ISTE) Digital Leadership Summit
Friday, January 18 – Sunday, January 20 | Santa Clara, California
Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U) Annual Meeting
Wednesday, January 23 – Saturday, January 26 | Atlanta, Georgia
American Enterprise Institute (AEI) “Education policy debate: A federal right to education?”
Thursday, January 24 | Washington, DC
Future of Education Technology Conference (FETC) Annual Meeting
Sunday, January 27 – Wednesday, January 30 | Orlando, Florida
American Association of School Administrators (AASA) Annual Meeting
Thursday, February 14 – Saturday, February 16 | Los Angeles, California
Read more on education policy on the McGuireWoods Consulting website.