About Higgins, Hopkins, McLain & Roswell
Founded in 2001, Higgins, Hopkins, McLain & Roswell (“HHMR”) exists to embody and exemplify the principles of service and stewardship. In everything we do, we focus on serving our clients selflessly and to the best of our ability. In doing so, we always have in the forefront of our minds our obligation to act as the stewards of our clients’ trust, confidences, and resources.
HHMR is highly regarded for its expertise in construction law and the litigation of construction related claims, including the defense of large and complex construction defect matters. In addition to their construction law background, HHMR’s attorneys are well versed and experienced in tort, contract, property and general casualty litigation ranging from products liability to personal injury and premises liability claims.
Shepherds – We are knowledgeable about our clients and their businesses and provide them selfless counsel and protection, putting their interests ahead of our own. We are thought leaders. We lead by exemplifying service, stewardship, integrity, and consistency. Client service above all else. Honesty, integrity, reputation. Think with sagacity.
Gladiators – When the fight cannot be avoided, we enter the arena. Our faces are marred by dust and sweat and blood; we strive valiantly; while we may come up short it is not for lack of knowledge or effort as we are tireless in the fight. We actually strive to do the deeds; we know great enthusiasms, the great devotions; we spend ourselves in a worthy cause; at the best we know in the end the triumph of high achievement, and at the worst, if we fail, at least fail while daring greatly, so that our place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Continually strive for perfection. Never stop learning and improving. Swagger. Passion and pride. We punch above our weight. Boldness. Act with alacrity.
Team Players – We are team players; with our clients, with our carriers, and with each other. Always reliable and responsible. We communicate with confidence and radical candor; we do not stay in the shadows and actively listen. We do more than asked and are always ready to help. We adapt quickly and easily; we are flexible. We display genuine commitment and are supportive and respectful of others. We are problem solvers and quicky acknowledge errors and when we are wrong, seeking to correct them quickly and efficiently. No assholes or cynics. Positive and Optimistic. Humble (not thinking less about yourself, but thinking about yourself less) – Take your work seriously, but do not take yourself too seriously. We all row in the same direction.
Where We Are and Where We Are Going
Over the last year and a half, the founding members of HHMR have been working with a business coach to implement EOS, the Entrepreneurial Operating System, with the goal of successfully growing the firm and creating a second-generation firm that long outlasts its founders. EOS is the basic set of practices, tools, and disciplines by which we have decided to manage HHMR.
EOS is designed to achieve three basic objectives:
1. Vision – Get everyone on the same page as to where we are going as a company and how we will get there.
2. Traction – Using effective meetings and tools, we will gain traction in executing on our Vision.
3. Health – By working to be open and honest with one another, we will say what needs to be said with respect and confidence so that we become a healthier, more cohesive team so that we can better serve our clients and their insurance carriers.
The firm’s core focus has been, and remains, to grow a sustainable law firm that is recognized as a premier legal service provider for the development and construction industry in Colorado. To do this, we serve the legal needs of the industry, and their insurers, throughout the state.
Our ten-year goal is to maintain our positive firm culture within a highly collaborative team that is well structured and systematized to run efficiently. The attorneys and staff are dedicated to our clients, carriers, and each other and working together to achieve the firm business goals. The firm will have grown to 24-25 attorneys and include all areas of practice needed to be a “one-stop shop” for the development and construction industry in Colorado.
Role of an Associate/Supporting Attorney at HHMR
If you are still reading, that’s a good sign. In addition to sharing our core values and vision, we are looking for an attorney, licensed in Colorado, with 1-5 years of experience in civil litigation or a strong desire to litigate construction and general casualty cases. For the right candidate, we will consider someone with less than one year of experience. Expectations of supporting attorneys include the following.
· Ensure that monthly case management meetings take place
· Review calendar and appointment list daily for upcoming deadlines
· Provide draft of all discovery responses to Handling Attorney one week before due date
· Provide motions, responses to motions, and replies in support of motions to Handling Attorney three days before due date
· Provide monthly status report to Handling Attorney three days before due date (internal HHMR deadlines)
· Provide updated litigation plans, budgets, pre-mediation reports, and pre-trial reports to Handling Attorney one week before due date (external carrier deadlines)
· Make certain every case deadline is met
· Have substantive correspondence, reports, and budgets reviewed by Handling Attorney or Member before sending. Everything, other than simple e-mails, should be proofread by a Legal Assistant before going out – this includes substantive e-mails which replace written correspondence
· Enter time contemporaneously with work and release time daily
· Be familiar with and comply with carrier guidelines
· Draft and publish one blog entry per quarter
· Engage in business development, as appropriate
· Perform or assist with any task or request from any person in this firm
The firm expects Associates/Supporting Attorneys to bill 450 hours per quarter, totaling 1,800 billed hours per year.
First and foremost, you will have an opportunity to learn your craft. We practice at a very high level and are frequently recognized as being among the best attorneys in our respective areas of practice. For a small firm, we punch about our weight and frequently litigate construction cases against much larger local, regional, or national firms in cases that rank among the largest in the state. Expectations of both members of the firm and handling attorneys include providing mentorship to associates and supporting attorneys. If we want the highest level of support, we understand that it requires mentorship and nurturing of younger attorneys, and we are all in on providing that support. Not only do we rely on the support of our younger attorneys, but as we move into the future, the younger attorneys will be the second generation of owners of the firm. As we pass on the legacy of the firm, and the torch of ownership, it is in our best interest that our younger attorneys have every opportunity to achieve the level of success, recognition, and trust as have the founders.
In addition to a base salary, which varies depending on experience, the firm also offers quarterly and annual billable hour and origination incentives, along with discretionary year-end bonuses for exceptional performance. Additional firm benefits include:
· Health insurance, which is partially paid by the employee each pay period by payroll deduction. At present, the firm pays 90% of the employee’s premium;
· Dental, life, accidental death and dismemberment, and long-term disability insurance; and
· The ability to participate in the firm 401(k) program after successfully completing six months of employment. The benefit provides for a salary deferral with the firm matching up to four percent each pay period.
· The firm also presently makes a variety of other plans (e.g., accident, cancer, short term disability, and/or vision insurance) available to employees who wish to purchase such products at their own expense.
If you are still ready, and still interested, we would very much like to hear from you. Please send a resume, references, and writing samples to our Legal Administrator, Lauren Parks, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please No Calls or Agencies.