2d District: Court Files Miscellaneous Order 2023-02We are pleased to announce the eagerly awaited re-opening of the Second Appellate District Courtroom. Starting with the November 2023 calendar, the Second Appellate District Courtroom will be open for in-person oral arguments.
* California State Bar Certified Appellate Law Specialist
* Fellow of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers
* Member of the California Academy of Appellate Lawyers
* Ranked by Chambers USA for California Appellate Litigation
* Named in Best Lawyers in America for appellate practice
* Editor-in-Chief, California Litigation journal
* Trustee At-Large, L.A. County Bar Assn.
* Ninth Circuit Advisory Committee on Rules & Internal Operating Procedures (2017–20)
* Chair, LACBA State Appellate Judicial Evaluation Committee (2013–19)
* Chair, Cal. State Bar Committee on Appellate Courts (2010–11)
* Cal. Lawyers Assn., Litigation Section ExCom Advisor (2013—)
* Chair, LACBA Appellate Courts Committee (2009–11)
* Expert witness in appellate and anti-SLAPP fees matters
Benjamin G. Shatz Blogs
Latest from Benjamin G. Shatz
Law360 reports Newman Given 1-Year Suspension For Refusing Medical Tests — Federal Circuit Judge Pauline Newman was suspended Wednesday from hearing any cases for one year, after the court’s other active judges said their 96-year-old colleague derailed an investigation into…
Wall St. Journal book review: ‘The Court at War’ Review: Roosevelt and His Justices — By 1943, only one Supreme Court justice didn’t owe his job to FDR. The rest seemed to think they worked for the president. The review…
Reminder: All California courts will be closed this Friday, September 22nd, 2023, in observance of Native American Day.(Other CA court holidays for the rest of the year are Veterans Day (Friday, 11/10), Thanksgiving & Day After (11/23-24), Christmas Day (12/25)).
Bloomberg Law has 96-Year-Old Suspended Judge Honored at Patent Law ConferencePauline Newman, the nation’s oldest active federal judge, accepted plaudits and gave out an award named for her at a gathering for patent attorneys, while she continues to battle…
Congrats to Justices Edmon and Slough who will received the Judicial Council’s 2023 Distinguished Service Award. Presiding Justice Lee Smalley Edmon has been instrumental in supporting efforts to expand the diversity of California’s judiciary. She serves as co-chair of…
Two appellatey articles from Bloomberg Law today:DC Circuit Bests Supreme Court for Women Advocate Arguments — Women argued 28% of time at DC Circuit, 24% at Supreme Court. Non-government female attorneys argued more.Former Fed. Circuit Judge Predicts Shake-Up on Influential…