Bad faith under Oklahoma law only applies in certain situations. Not every dissatisfied claimant is entitled to sue under Oklahoma bad faith law.
Oklahoma bad faith is NOT:
* action by the underwriting department while underwriting a policy
* the activity of an insurance agent in selling the coverage
* the action of an adjuster handling a third party claim
* just because some lawyer uses the phrase “bad faith”
* an honest mistake by the claim department or adjuster
* simply paying less than an amount that makes the claimant happy
* the use of litigation to resolve disputed facts and circumstances
* litigation of novel and unsettled points of law including matters of first impression
It always makes sense to involve an experienced attorney early in the claim if issues of bad faith may be present.