A decade ago, Jason Shinn was working at a firm, but already knew he wanted to start a blog. He advocated for the firm to start one, but was shut down and told it was not the best use of firm resources. This made him reevaluate his priorities and he decided to set out on his own and start his own practice. Present-day, he credits much of the success Shinn Legal now enjoys to his decision to launch his blog—the Michigan Employment Law Advisor—in the early days of his firm. He joins Bob Ambrogi on This Week in Legal Blogging to discuss why he still blogs and give insights into his process.
For weekly chats with the best bloggers in our community, with insight on what’s worked for them, be sure to subscribe to This Week in Legal Blogging wherever you get your podcasts—including:
If you’re on Apple, be sure to drop us a rating and a review.
- 1:30 – Shinn’s career path and what areas of law he practices in
- 3:07 – He has been practiting law since 2001, but started his own firm back in 2011
- 4:51 – What it is about employment law that he likes
- 6:07 – How Covid-19 has impacted his firm and his clients
- 7:45 – The current state of the courts in Michigan
- 9:50 – Shinn left his previous firm after being shot down when he proposed starting a blog
- 12:18 – How he started the blog on his own and why he decided to work with LexBlog
- 13:31 – His blog started getting readership right away and how he responded
- 14:40 – The importance of writing about topics that are important to your audience
- 17:13 – How he tracks developments and his blogging routine
- 19:16 – Why blogging is still the only kind of marketing his firm uses
- 22:32 – How the way he writes has changed over the years
- 23:36 – His advice, make sure you enjoy what you are writing about and prove that you are an expert