Effective #networking requires meeting new people (and staying in touch with those you already know). To get to know people you don’t know well or strangers you would like to meet, when attending a business event or social occasion like a conference, trade show, fundraiser, party, dinner, seminar, awards banquet, association meeting, on an elevator, etc., 1) armor yourself with a positive, approachable demeanor and attitude, 2) make the first move to initiate a conversation by, 3) asking one of these 9 great icebreaker questions:
- Hi, my name is ____, what’s yours?
- Do you know if there is wifi here?
- Hello, my name is ____, haven’t we met before?
- What brought to you this event?
- Did you enjoy the keynote?
- What do you think of this conference so far?
- Where are you from?
- Where do you work?
- What’s your role there?