Unfortunately, there are times when one party withholds placement of a child. There a can be many reasons or motivations for a party to withhold placement from the other parent. Regardless of the reason, the party who has had their placement denied, withheld or interfered with may file a motion with the court to have the placement order enforced. As in most cases when a motion is filed, the moving party must allege facts to show that their placement has been denied or interfered with. Because this particular motion asserts that one parent has been denied placement with their child—and the parent-child relationship is of such great importance—the court is obligated to hold a hearing on the motion within 30 days of service, unless both parties agree to extend the time to hold a hearing. 

During the hearing, both parties present their case to the court. At the conclusion, the court must determine whether the party alleged to have denied placement to the other party did so intentionally and unreasonably. If the court finds both occurred, it must issue an order granting additional period of placement to replace those denied periods of placement and award the moving party a reasonable amount for the cost of the action. The court may make additional findings to include additional financial compensation to the moving party, find the responding party in contempt and issue an injunction requiring the responding part to strictly follow the placement order. It is possible for a court to find that placement was intentionally denied while determining that that denial was not unreasonable given the circumstances.

If you have had periods of placement denied to you or have been accused of withholding placement from another parent, call one of the attorneys at Hawley, Kaufman & Kautzer, S.C. today!